There are seven (7) strategic core objectives that the four departments within the Office of the Vice President focus on, and strive to achieve. These are outlined as follows:
- To effectively facilitate the administration of Honours and Awards to deserving citizens, residents and foreign dignitaries by the Head of State in order to recognize their achievements and contributions to Zambia;
- To facilitate the effective conduct of Government business in Parliament in order to enhance accountability of the Executive to the Legislature and enhance good governance;
- To develop, review and monitor the implementation of policies and legislation in order to ensure effective implementation of Institutional programmes;
- To resettle targeted citizens both on voluntary and involuntary basis in order to provide them with an alternative livelihood while uplifting living standards of the rural communities;
- To develop and coordinate disaster risk management programmes in order to protect lives and livelihoods, property, environment and the economy;
- To provide, develop and manage human and financial resources, as well as administrative and logistical support services in order to enhance the performance and operations of the Office of the Vice President; and
- To effectively facilitate the Prerogative of Mercy in order to grant clemency to prisoners by the Head of State.(now moved to the Ministry of Home Affairs).